This dish is very easy and quick to make, and above all a hit with the kids. You can even make it easier for yourself to buy good quality meatballs from the butcher or supermarket, and skip the making meatballs bit. (Method 1-5). This is variation of Jamie Oliver’s recipe meatballs & pasta. Which is definitely worth trying too!
- 6 Dutch crisp bakes
- 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 heaped teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 500 g quality minced beef, pork, or a mixture of the two
- 1 heaped tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 large free-range egg
- olive oil
- 1 bunch of fresh basil
- ½ a fresh or dried red chilli
- 2 x 400 g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 250 grams of mature shredded cheese.
- 400 g dried spaghetti or penne
- Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oven to 200 °C. Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large baking tray and place the tray into the oven.
- In the meantime crumble the crisp bakes fine with your hands, breaking up any big bits with your fingers, then tip into a large bowl.
- Pick and finely chop the rosemary, then add to the bowl with the mustard, minced meat and oregano.
- Crack the egg into the bowl, then add a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- With clean hands, scrunch and mix everything up well. Divide into 24 small balls.
- Carefully take the baking tray out of the oven and put it somewhere on a stable underground out of reach for the kids!
- Add the chilli to the oil, and as soon as they start to get some color add the large basil leaves.
- Put also the meatballs into the tray, be careful, the oil might spit. Cook the meatballs until nice and brown all over. This will take about 10 – 15 minutes. Shake the tray half way so the meatballs won’t stick to the bottom.
- Tip in the tomatoes, make sure all meatballs are covered. Sprinkle over all off the shredded cheese. Season with a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and has this nice crunchy look.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water according to the packet instructions, then drain. Serve with the meatballs in tomato sauce.